Welcome to UW’s Department of Landscape Architecture!
Below are information and links to help you prepare for your first quarter in the MLA or BLA program. Students moving to Seattle should plan to arrive by Sunday, September 17, 2023.
Autumn 2023 Important Dates and Activities
Design Prep Week Info
Monday, Sept 18 – Friday, Sept 22
9:00 – 12:00 Digital Drawing
12:00 – 1:30 Lunch Break
1:30 – 4:30 Hand Drawing
All incoming BLA + MLA I (3-year track) students are required to attend.
For MLA II (2-year track) students who are new to Seattle, we recommend you attend the afternoon drawing sessions.
BLA + MLA I $200 (all day)
MLA II $100 (afternoon session only)
Submit payment here by Friday, September 8.
Please register for Prep Week here.
Equipment + Supplies List: For MLA I and BLAs
The list is a combined list for Prep Week (Prep) LARCH 401 (Studio), LARCH 411 (Representation) and LARCH 431 (Landform).
- Required items are indicated with an “R”.
- Bolded items are required for Prep Week and should be purchased before Sept 18
- Recommendations for a specific brand, size or type are provided if there are multiple options available. Indicated with “REC”.
- Columns at right indicate the course(s) in which you will use the equipment or supply, in case you have questions.
- PREP = items needed for Design Prep Week, purchase before Sept 18.
- WK 1 = purchase before or during the first week of classes.
Monday, Sept 25 – Department of Landscape Architecture
Tuesday, Sept 26 – College of Built Environments
U501 Graduate School Orientation – a self-guided, online resource for graduate students
CBE Design Charrette (optional)
Saturday, Sept 23 – Gould Court
RSVP required by end of day Sunday, 9/17
Lunch & refreshments provided
Hosted by UW ARCH, LARCH, & UDP Professionals Advisory Councils.
Meet new students from other CBE programs as well as members of the professional community
Questions: contact Claudine Manio, firstname.lastname@example.org
First Day of Classes
Wednesday, Sept 27
Incoming MLA Students Information
- Information for Incoming MLA students
- MLA Typical Course Sequence Chart
- MLA Curriculum Summary Chart
- MLA Checklist
- UW LA Course List – Autumn 2023
- MLA Selective Courses List – Autumn 2023
Incoming BLA Students Information
- For the BLA Program Guide, Curriculum Guide, Requirements Checklist, Course Sequence Charts, and list of Directed Electives, visit https://larch.be.uw.edu/students/ and click the “Undergraduate Resources” tab
- For the Autumn 2023 BLA Directed Electives course list, find the link at the top of the Courses page.
- Current UW students: Change of Major forms are being submitted to declare your new major. You’ll officially be listed as a BLA student beginning Autumn 2023.
- Transfer students: UW admissions has been informed that you’ve been accepted into the BLA program. You should receive additional information from UW soon. Once you are officially accepted into UW, work with your adviser to begin Autumn registration.
- For your first term in the program, you will be registered for the following courses:
- L ARCH 401 Design Foundations Studio
- L ARCH 411 Landscape Representation
- L ARCH 431 Landform and Grading
- L ARCH 341 Site Design and Planning (unless you’ve already completed this course)
- This course load equals 15 credits (12 credits if you’ve already completed L ARCH 341). This is an appropriate course load for your first term in the program. However, if you have space in your schedule and would like to take something else, please register for that yourself.
Incoming International Students Information
- CIRCLE International Welcome Programming (by entering quarter)
- UW International Students Services website
- International Student Pre-Arrival Checklist
- International Student Post-Arrival Checklist
Resources – All Students
- General UW//LA Student Resources
- Student Discussion Forum (MS Teams)
- UW//LA Incoming Students Directory – 2023 Form (required
- Student Computer Requirements (Google Doc)
- Summer suggested (optional!) reading list (Google Doc)
- Virtual Open House Tour [PDF]
- Video Tour of MakerSpaces at CBE
- UW Campus Resource Guide
You can find other information on the Department Student Resources Page.
Other questions? Contact your adviser.