The Department offers a professionally accredited Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (BLA) degree. The BLA program is limited in the number of students we can accept and requires applications from students who have completed program prerequisites. The deadline for the BLA program is March 29, 2024 for admission the following Autumn term.
While these are NOT required for admission into the program, applicants are encouraged to complete General Education and elective courses in the following areas:
- L ARCH 322 Intro to Planting Design
- L ARCH 341 Site Design and Planning
- L ARCH 352 History of Landscape Architecture
- L ARCH 353 Modern History of Landscape Architecture
- L ARCH 361 Human Experience of Place
- L ARCH 363 Ecological Design & Planning
- ESS 101 Introduction to Geology (fulfills NW, prerequisite for a required course)
BLA program prerequisites
To apply, you must have completed or be on track to complete a minimum of 70 credits of UW’s general education requirements by the time you start the BLA program.
In addition, you should have completed:
- L ARCH 300 Introduction to Landscape Architecture
Applying to the BLA program
We welcome a new cohort of students each Autumn term. Applications are due the first day of Spring term. For the Autumn 2024 cohort, the application deadline is March 29, 2024.
Your application will require you to upload a single PDF document (not to exceed 30 megabytes) that includes the following:
- Cover Sheet – includes your name, the year, and “BLA Application”
- Statement of Interest – Provide a coherent and personable introduction to yourself, your motives, achievements and aspirations; include educational experiences, community service, and work situations which may have helped you decide to become a landscape architect, and explain your reasons for wishing to pursue a career as a landscape architect. (1-2 pages).
- Transcript(s) – from each community college, college or university attended. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Resume – for resume writing workshops, please see: http://careers.uw.edu/
- Portfolio of creative work – your portfolio is specific to your interests, abilities, and experiences that support your interest in landscape architecture. It should include examples of work demonstrating your creative capabilities, graphic proficiency, design process and approach, aesthetic and environmental sensitivity, and related endeavors or coursework you’ve undertaken. Exhibits may include products from crafts, artwork, photography, design studios, creative writing, musical compositions, or other pieces of work. For more information, check out our BLA Portfolio Review Guidelines.
Applications are evaluated by the BLA Admissions Committee with attention to:
- Academic record
- Evidence of creative potential
- Graphic and verbal fluency
- Awareness of landscape architecture as a profession
Applicants will be notified of the Admission’s Committee’s decision by the sixth week of Spring term. Apply here.
Applying as a direct transfer or a postbaccalaureate student
You will need to submit a separate application to the University of Washington in addition to the BLA program application. Please note that these applications will have a different deadline than the BLA application.
Transfer students should plan to attend a Transfer Information Session to speak with a transfer adviser around the application process – other relevant information is located on the same website.
Postbaccalaureate students can find relevant information around the application process on the Postbaccalaureate Admissions page.
Have questions or want to learn more about the BLA Program?
This degree leads to licensure. For further information refer to the following table.