Financial aid

Financial aid through the Department of Landscape Architecture

The Department offers a merit-based scholarship for selected incoming students.

The Department also offers a limited number of teaching assistantships to graduate students who in general have completed the equivalent of the first year of the three year program. A limited number of Department scholarships are also available and awarded each spring.

The Office of Student Financial Aid administers several federal, state and private financial aid programs created to help students pay tuition and fees for their education. Assistance is available in the form of grant aid, scholarships, long-term loans that must be repaid after leaving school, and work opportunities. An information packet describing the programs, eligibility criteria and application procedures may be obtained by contacting the Office of Student Financial Aid, 105 Schmitz Hall, Box 355880, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, (206) 543-6101.

Undergraduate and graduate students may apply for aid through the Office of Student Financial Aid; graduate assistance is generally limited to long-term loans and work opportunities.

To be eligible for financial aid, an individual must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States and be admitted to the University as a matriculated, degree-seeking student. First consideration is given to full-time students pursuing their first degree at any level (e.g. first bachelor degree, first master degree). Priority is given to students who apply before the University’s financial aid deadline, which is generally March 1 of the preceding year.

Student Employment Service

The Office of Student Financial Aid also administers the Student Employment Service, 172 Schmitz Hall, (206) 543-1840. This is an employment referral service that lists a wide variety of part-time jobs on and off campus throughout the year. The office also administers short-term emergency loans for full-time students who find themselves in temporary, severe financial difficulty. University students may take advantage of the Student Employment Service and of the short-term emergency loan program without applying for financial aid.

Financial Aid for Minority Graduate Students

Graduate Diversity Fellowships Financial assistance is available to students whose individual experiences and/or academic interests will bring diversity to scholarly perspectives and endeavors, and to the academic community. For additional information on a limited number of diversity fellowships available through The Graduate School’s Graduate Opportunities & Minority Achievement Program (GO-MAP), contact GO-MAP at:

Graduate Opportunities & Minority Achievement Program (GO-MAP)
The Graduate School
University of Washington

Seattle, WA 98195-3770

tel: 206.543.9016; toll-free: 800.524.9122